Note to self: Never ever take 3 year old's into a party store and let them loose!
K&A were so excited to wake up to see it all put together and to hear all about what was to come during the day. They kept looking out the window to see if Grandma was there yet and kept asking who was coming to their party. I loved seeing them so excited and eager to celebrate. I had this vision in my mind of them all dressed up in their princess and mermaid costumes, with their hair done up prettily, opening presents and blowing out candles.
Unfortunately, the day didn't quite match up to my vision. For some reason, their moods went downhill after only a few short hours. They began fighting, whining, crying, not listening, and anything and everything else they could do to drive us crazy. I found myself so frazzled hours before the party even began. When it came time to get ready, they didn't want to wear their costumes and they really did not want their hair done. It was one battle after another. I kept asking what happened to my children. Do they magically turn evil when they turn 3? Does that happen overnight? HaHa.
The day wore on and I have to admit that there were moments of sheer frustration and impatience on my part. I tried to remind myself that it was their birthday so I should just relax and go with the flow but we were not feeling each other the majority of that morning. The guests began showing up and thankfully their moods began to improve. They enjoyed playing with their cousins and things turned out fairly well with the party. There was plenty of food and dessert . The girls went wild opening their gifts and it was total chaos in our living room. It seemed like they had tore through everything in just about 5 minutes flat and they received so many great gifts. Our living room was still full of newly opened toys this evening. They loved their cake (although that hardly turned out as planned) and ate it up when everyone sang happy birthday to them.
They ended the day by spending their first night away from Mommy and Daddy. Their Titi Elsie asked to keep them overnight and surprisingly my girls jumped at the opportunity. They grabbed their blankies and were ready to go. I couldn't even believe it and didn't want them to go. I kept asking them to please stay but they were not having it. As Kaylee said "I will be back tomorrow Mommy." They went and ended up having a blast. They built pretend castles, ate lots of snacks, and all slept together. There was no crying and asking to come home as we had expected. That made us half happy and half depressed. They sure are growing up fast!
They came home this morning and I couldn't wait to play. We sat on the floor playing stickers, my little pony, barbie, and play dough. Our moods were all improved and we enjoyed hearing their stories about their party and night. They had lots of funny things to say. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to celebrate their 3rd birthday. It seems like such a simple thing but really it is one of the greatest gifts we could have. The day wasn't perfect... but how often are things actually perfect? It was full of highs and lows but it was "real" and it was ours.
Love you girls!
PS - My thoughts also drifted to Sheye Rosemeyer and her family while we celebrated. Their daughter Ava shared the girl's birthday and would have turned 6 years old this year. I don't personally know their family but reading about Ava through Sheye's stories has been a real eye opener for me. Thank you for sharing Ava, inspiring me through your words and pictures, and for reminding mothers all around the world to truly appreciate each moment we have with our children. It is a greater blessing than you realize. I know Ava wasn't physically here to celebrate her special day but I am sure she had plenty of princess parties to drop in on all over the place!























1 comment:
I'm glad the girls had a great birthday! Still hard to believe they are 3!
Post a Comment