August 17, 2009

Bye Bye Cribs

It may seem crazy to some people but the girls slept in their cribs until they were almost 3. Actually, until they were just 6 days away from turning 3 to be exact!

Up until the last month, they never complained or tried to climb out of them and they would always scream "No" when we asked if they wanted to move to big girl beds. We figured we had it made. They were somewhat confined in there so they were not up playing or running into our room all the time and they seemed content. Plus, that meant that we were still holding on to some small part of their babyhood... even if was just by a thread.

Then, it slowly began to change. The girls learned how to easily climb in and out of their cribs and they would always sneak out. They were probably up playing while we were sleeping for all we know. I knew that it would be better to just take off the crib railing but a part of me didn't really feel ready for that to happen. I know it may sound silly since they were almost 3 and according to them they are very big girls. But... it just meant we were one more step away from having babies.

Saturday night Tony finally went in and took their cribs apart to make day beds. We will eventually get them twin mattresses but this will do for now. I took pictures of them in their cribs for the last time and they said bye to their baby beds. They jumped up and down, laughed, and played.

Then the drill came out and their baby cribs turned into big girl beds in a matter of seconds. Kind of funny how that reflects what the last 3 years felt like to us. It feels like we were just putting those cribs together in our town house. We were so excited to decorate their nursery in all the colors I loved... pink, purple, yellow, green. Tony put the cribs together and I dressed them with their brand new bedding and we hung their pretty name plates over their cribs. I remember being so huge that I could barely bend and the Braxton Hicks that would start up from me overdoing it. We were so excited to meet our baby girls that would soon sleep in those cribs.

Flash forward 3 years later... but what felt like only minutes... and we are making the switch into big girl beds. The girls were soo excited. They couldn't stop smiling and climbing in and out. They said they wanted to read books in their new beds. We watched their excitement with mixed feelings. There was sadness and a few tears (leave it to me!) but also anticipation for all the changes and milestones that we are sure to face on this crazy parenthood journey!











2 comments:

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

oh my goodness! look at their pretty little beds. they look so happy and excited!

Brea said...

I imagine it's a harder transition for you and Tony than the girls. But they are ready! I was so excited for Sean when he made the move to a big boy bed :)