September 24, 2009

23 Weeks Old!

Aiden seems to change so much every single week. He is now rolling all around to get to his toys. It doesn't matter if he has to roll over five times just to get to his purple octopus toy - he is up for the challenge! He is also very into talking these days and all kinds of sounds come bubbling out. We all get a big kick out of listening to him talk back to the girls. I think he knows he has talk loud to be heard over them! He took his first trip to the county fair this past weekend and he was such a good boy. I just knew he would be fussy since we disrupted his routine but he did surprisingly well. He has always been very dependent on long naps twice a day but I think he is slowly easing out of that pattern. He is becoming so nosy and doesn't want to miss a single thing. His hair continues to stick up higher and higher. I gave up on trying to smooth it down. I always did that with the girls chickie fuzz but then wanted it back as soon as it started to grow out. I like to give Aiden little mohawks and to rub my cheek against his hair. It brings back so many memories from the twins newborn days. Amazing how much he looks like them...especially Kaylee. The biggest compliment we (or should I say he) received this week was when his Grandfather said he sure was getting chubby thighs. I believe he called them "ham hocks" to be exact. Little did he know that he would make my day with that innocent comment. I mean could I ask for anything more? HeHe.

The other night I was laying in bed with Aiden going through our nightly bedtime ritual. I have to escape to our room and close the door because Aiden's bedtime happens to coincide with the girls loudest and craziest time of the day. I guess they are fully living up their last half an hour before bed time. Anyway, our bedtime ritual involves lots and lots of snuggling. I can't really express how much those quiet moments with just the two of us mean to me. It hit me the other night that these moments won't last forever. Just as the girls have grown up in a blink of an eye... so will Aiden. Sure, the girls still love to be held and cuddled at times...but it is all dependent on when they feel like slowing down for a second. Those thoughts led to many, many more cuddles and kisses for Aiden that particular night as well as a trip to the girls room to smother them in kisses before falling asleep.

Looking back, a part of me wishes I could have more of these special quiet moments with each of the girls as infants. Don't get me wrong - I loved the twins from the moment I became pregnant with them. But having newborn twins doesn't allow for many of those special mommy-baby moments...like snuggling your baby on your chest, playing with their little fingers and toes, listening to them breathe, or having the chance to rock them to sleep every night. I was able to do those things with the girls but never for very long. And, never without getting distracted by the other one crying or feeling guilty for paying more attention to one than the other.

It is just totally different having only one baby at a time. It is so much easier to manage and I am so glad I was able to have both experiences as a Mother. It isn't always easy by any means but it is well worth it all. I feel like Aiden has completed our family in so many ways but the best part has been watching the girls turn into big sisters. K&A are totally in love with having a baby brother and the fact that they are "big sisters." They are doing a pretty awesome job at it too!
Okay, enough of the sappiness (just can't help it sometimes). Here are a few more pics of the little man. I would share more of the girls but they haven't wanted to indulge Mommy and her camera lately. :-)






No comments: