Today marks the six-month anniversary of my brother passing away. It is incredible to imagine that it has been half a year already. Hard to believe that we have made it through all of those days, weeks, months, while missing one of the most important people in our lives and hearts.
Yet, no matter how hard it is to believe or accept…it is always with us. Almost like a nightmare that just never ends. I read somewhere that you never truly get over a loss like this. You just absorb it into your life, into who you are, and somehow learn to live with it.
I am sure it will take a long while to get to that point but we take baby steps each day I suppose. And, through all of the sadness and missing, I am so thankful for all of little reminders we have of Rickey each day. The funny stories that pop into my mind when I least expect it, the special appearances he makes in my dreams, the way his daughter looks so much like him that you have to stop to catch your breath at times.
Yes, Rickey lives on through each of us and in some ways; he lives on through perfect strangers as well. I know Rickey would be very happy that because of him, someone was able to see for perhaps the first time. This has really opened my eyes to what an incredible gift organ and tissue donation is and I believe Rickey would be so proud to have been a part of it.
Love you Rickey!
Yet, no matter how hard it is to believe or accept…it is always with us. Almost like a nightmare that just never ends. I read somewhere that you never truly get over a loss like this. You just absorb it into your life, into who you are, and somehow learn to live with it.
I am sure it will take a long while to get to that point but we take baby steps each day I suppose. And, through all of the sadness and missing, I am so thankful for all of little reminders we have of Rickey each day. The funny stories that pop into my mind when I least expect it, the special appearances he makes in my dreams, the way his daughter looks so much like him that you have to stop to catch your breath at times.
Yes, Rickey lives on through each of us and in some ways; he lives on through perfect strangers as well. I know Rickey would be very happy that because of him, someone was able to see for perhaps the first time. This has really opened my eyes to what an incredible gift organ and tissue donation is and I believe Rickey would be so proud to have been a part of it.
Love you Rickey!
To Remember Me
Give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise,
a baby’s face or love in the eyes of a woman.
Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused
nothing but endless days of pain.
Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the
wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his
grandchildren play.
Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to
exist from week to week.
Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my
body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.
If you must bury something, let it be my faults,
My weaknesses and all prejudice against my fellow man.
Give my sins to the devil.
Give my soul to God.
If, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind
deed or word to someone who needs you.
If you do all I have asked, I will live forever.
Robert N. Test
Give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise,
a baby’s face or love in the eyes of a woman.
Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused
nothing but endless days of pain.
Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the
wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his
grandchildren play.
Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to
exist from week to week.
Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my
body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.
If you must bury something, let it be my faults,
My weaknesses and all prejudice against my fellow man.
Give my sins to the devil.
Give my soul to God.
If, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind
deed or word to someone who needs you.
If you do all I have asked, I will live forever.
Robert N. Test
1 comment:
That poem is awesome! It definitely sums up how I feel about organ donation. I know Rickey is proud of you and how you are handling things!
Post a Comment