The girls have done great adjusting to a new baby in the house. They pay attention to him when they feel like it and otherwise pretty much ignore that he is in the room. They like to push him in his baby swing, give him kisses on the head, and make sure he is all right when he is sleeping in his bassinet. We do have to give frequent reminders for them to watch out for him when they are running around and we have to teach them that they can't push him high in his infant swing like they do on their swings. Or as Kaylee would say "Baby want to go high to the sky, mommy?" HaHa. Otherwise, they are doing very well.
There were a few funny stories from the first week home. Kaylee didn't really understand that the baby was the same Baby Aiden that was in my belly. With the brutal honesty of a 2 year old she had this to say:
Kaylee: Comes up to kiss my belly
Mommy: "Kaylee, who are you kissing? Baby Aiden is over there... not in mommy's belly anymore."
Kaylee: Looks at my belly and then looks at him and then back and forth a few more times
Mommy: "See, Aiden isn't in my belly anymore."
Kaylee: "Well who is then??"
Thanks sweet girl! She also saw us putting Aiden in his carseat for his 2 week check up and said "Is that baby going home now?" HaHa. Luckily, now she will say she wants to keep her baby brother when asked.
Alyssa has been more into Aiden and likes to watch him. One day he was doing one of his smiles (gas?) but he just happened to do it right when Alyssa came up to talk to him. She loved that and so did Mommy and Grandma. It will be so much fun when they can all 3 play together and when he starts giving us some real smiles to enjoy. Alyssa also likes to share Mommy's business with breastfeeding the baby. She informed the babysitter's husband "my brother drinks milk from mommy's boobies." Nice!
The past weeks have been a bit overwhelming as we struggle to adjust our routine to accommodate a newborn again. It makes me feel guilty that the baby needs so much attention right now. I don't want the girls to feel like I am not giving them the attention they need. I suppose it will get easier as the weeks go on and I learn to balance my time and energy better. It has also been a struggle since Aiden likes to stay up for 2-3 hour stretches at night. The doc seems to think he may be experiencing colic. It isn't so fun for Mommy. I just try to remind myself that this too shall pass. And although I can't believe it at the moment... I know I will miss these days once they are gone.
Overall, we are all doing really well. I will try to post more pics and share more stories soon. Hope everyone is doing well!
No comments:
Post a Comment